So maybe this should have been one of the first things I should’ve done- make a list of all the things I want to try and do this year. But I guess I was so excited with the prospect of flying that I simply plunged off the cliff without too much of a thought.
When I’d handed in my resignation, my boss asked me ‘what is it exactly that you want to do?’. Perfectly valid question. But the only thing I could manage to mutter was ‘something on my own’.
I really envy people who know what they want to do and are doing it. I know someone who left an FMCG to become a dancer, and someone who left a bank to go to Milan and study fashion. I on the other hand have left with no plan and a billion ideas to choose from.
So here’s a few things I’ve thought of over the weeks that I may dabble in over the next year. At some point of time I may revisit this list. Strike off things done and add new things to do. This is a wish list and task list all in one and will be my guide over the next few months to make sure I’m making most of this time.
- Start writing (professionally): this could be content, ghostwriting, blogs, features, e-books, copywriting, screenwriting – I’ll work my way through these and decide which kind I like the most.
- Learn photography: read books, online tutorials, photography critiquing forums and ideally apprentice with a photographer in mumbai (anybody reading this?)
- Build my photography portfolio: focus on a specific genre of photography and build my folio on that. I tend to bend towards food (but it’s still more theoretical) and I’m bad at doing people portraits so will need to figure this one out.
- Start a Start-up: Have a few ideas. Need to prototype. Atleast. Don’t know if I’ll go any further than that. But need to actually stop rejecting ideas in my brain and start rejecting them once they actually fail!
- Re-learn a few skills: Like photo editing. Studied this in college when I was doing my mass comm but I’m incredibly rusty now so need to ‘air-brush’ that now 🙂
- Work on a Bollywood film: don’t know how and in which capacity, maybe write for it? But I really want to, just because I think it’ll be super exciting.
- Do storytelling workshops for kids: Build back an interest in reading for kids these days who are far too hooked on to screens all around them.
- Bake: I love baking and most of the times I end up making stuff that’s pretty delish. But I always approach it with a lot of hesitation. Need to brush up basics, so that I whip up a cake or a pie without referring to 20 recipes and measuring ingredients to the last decimal point.
- Do something good: Do something that’ll help a poor kid somewhere stand on his own feet or live in a better world. As a new mom, I owe it to my kid to help live in a world that’s better than the one we live in today.
- See something new in the world: See a battleship, a museum, a new city, an old thing in a new way.
There’s no way this is the end of what I want to do. All I need now is discipline and a glass of wine to make this happen 🙂